Monday, June 4, 2012

It's All about the Journey

Yesterday's Installation of the Rev. Jennifer Valentine as Associate Pastor and Teacher of First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, in Manchester was a high and holy moment.  It was so good to see and hear youth participating in the service, leading, singing, and giving witness to the faith that grows within them.  The music was uplifting, lively, inspiring the gift of joy.  It was the sermon the Rev. David Neil, preached that moved me to deeper reflection.  His text was Mark 6:7-13.  He spoke of what we are called to take along and what must be left behind as we follow Jesus.  But, ultimately and always, it's about the journey we share with one another and with Jesus.

As I prepare for the journey of my sabbatical, I am clearing my desk and arranging my files.  A lot of things simply need to be packed away or discarded.  I cannot keep it all.  I should not keep it all.  The Rev. Dale Hempen, the Acting Conference Minister, will receive a desk that is not laden with fifty pounds of paper.  It is time to put it all away and move on.

But, the baggage of life and ministry is not always the tangible stuff--bread, bag, money in the belt, and that extra tunic.  Sometimes the heaviest baggage is inside--the fear, the guilt, the sad memory of a time when I did not follow Jesus as I had promised to do.  I settled for a "settled" ministry rather than one that was moving foward in faith, hope, and love.  Forgiveness--mutual and multifaceted forgiveness--is one way that life becomes unencumbered and free again.  Extending a hand and a humble heart--while there is yet time--is to open ourselves to the possibility of a new adventure in ministry.

It is also reassuring to remember that Jesus still sends us in company together, "two by two."  We are not alone.  We are never alone.  Our partners in ministry provide essential support and focus.  When we are tempted to wander off, become self-deluded, or wallow in self-pity, our companions can help provide perspective and point us back to the journey with Jesus.  There's a world that needs our word and witness, our love and care.  There are demons to drive out.  There are many who wait for annointing and healing. 

Today am grateful to God for companions in ministy, for Jennie, David, Dale, and many, many more.  I am grateful to God, who calls us to the journey, and for all who share it as friends and colleagues in Christ.

Let's go . . . .

1 comment:

  1. Having just moved, I understand what it is to unpack and let go but your reflection reminds me that it is also a spiritual exercise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete