Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memories of Ministry

Tomorrow is the 30th Anniversary of the day when I was ordained--Pentecost, May 30, 1982.  Seems like a long time ago now.  The time has gone so swiftly.  Yet, the memory is clear and powerful.  I remember the thunderstorms and the deep waters that made getting to the church difficult. I hear the echoes of a sermon that the Rev. Dr. Lionel Whiston, Jr. preached that day.  I remember big promises and the laying on of hands--exceedingly heavy hands.  I remember the presentation of a robe and stoles, bibles and a home communion set.  I still hear the offertory as it is sung and the postlude, "For All the Saints".  Yes, I do remember.

And, I remember the people and places to which God has taken me over these thirty years.  It has been a remarkable adventure of sorrow and joy, exile and homecoming, death and resurrection.  I remember the saints (and the sinners) who welcomed me and argued with me, who taught me to serve and to love with humility and hope.  I remember flood waters and baptisms.  I remember confirmation classes.  I remember goose-bump moments, Holy Communion, and the stirrings of the Spirit.  I remember sermons, some of which I wish I might not have preached.   I remember weddings each with its own unpredictable, memorable moment--the hope, the promise, the commitment to a future together.  I remember the long, solemn processions, preceeding the dead--the committals.  I remember Easter morning.  I do remember!


A favorite text begins to sing within my spirit.  There is hope that the God who called me to this journey also remembers and will see me through.  Listen!

For you shall go out in joy,
     and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song,
     and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress;
     instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle;
and it shall be to the LORD for a memorial,
     for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

                   --Isaiah 55:12f. (NRSV)

It is enough. 
   It is enough. 
      Yes, it is more than enough.

It is our gift.
   It is our hope.
      Indeed, it is so!

Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment