Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Good Good-Bye

Life in the church always involves transitions.  The congregation that God gathers to worship this morning will likely never be together again in the same way, yet the church moves forward through every change.

A church that I once served as pastor and teacher suffered the untimely death of one of its members.  Joe dropped dead on a Saturday afternoon while mowing his yard.  He was one of those saints who always had a kind word, worked hard to support his church no matter what the latest argument might be, and gave generously of his financial resources.  On the Sunday morning after Joe's death, I overheard a woman say to her friend as they entered the vestibule, "Let's sit in Joe's seat this morning."  Initially, I was stunned at such a remark, so casually made so soon after Joe's death.  But later, I saw how important it was that Joe's seat be filled by others, that the role that Joe had played in that church be taken up by others.  The survival of the church depends, I think, on navigating the transitions in faith, trusting in the hope of Christ's resurrection.

As I move toward the gift of a sabbatical from my ministry with the New Hampshire Conference of the United Church of Christ, I sense a deep resistance in my own spirit.  I don't want to go because I am apprehensive about what I might miss while I am gone.  I will not be present for the search committees with whom I've served.  I will not be here to help make important decisions that may have a long-lasting impact on the future of the Conference.  I will not be here to celebrate at installations and to share the liturgies of farewell as pastors move on to other ministries.  I will not be here

So, in this sabbatical time I'm rehearsing a good-bye, a good good-bye.  What the sabbatical time signals is a kind of spiritual transition that will be as important for the New Hampshire Conference as it is for me.  This is not the ultimate farewell, but it is a type of good-bye that is important.  I see far too many ministers who never have  experienced a good good-bye in the settings where they have served.

As I prepare to leave for a time--to be disconnected from the ministry that has shaped my life--I remember the words of Paul:  "Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell.  Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you." 
--II Corinthians, 13:11, NRSV.

O God who calls us to follow Jesus on the journey, grant us faith in every transition to trust you to see us through.  May there be a blessing in every parting, deep gratitude, real release.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment