Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sabbatical Plans

In six weeks, I will be on sabbatical (July 1 - September 30).  This will be the first time I've really had the opportunity to step away and to disengage from the routines and rituals of ministry since I was ordained nearly thirty years ago.  It is time to let go.

So what's my plan for the gift of sabbatical time?  The main learning will be to experience how it feels not to dress in a suit and tie, a  robe and stole for three months.  I will be giving the Conference cell phone to the person who serves as Acting Conference Minister.  I will not be checking and responding to email.  My keys to the Conference Center will be in someone else's pocket.  For the sabbatical time, being will be more important than doing.

During the sabbatical,
  • I plan to cultivate a healthier lifestyle--more regular exercise and a more balanced diet. 
  • I plan to spend more reflective time in study and prayer. 
  • I plan to work in our home, cleaning up and cleaning out the junk that has a way of piling up. 
  • I plan to visit with relatives. 
  • I plan to use some banked timeshare weeks and get away. 
  • I plan to do some fishing, cycling, and hiking. 

And, when the time is fulfilled, I plan to be back, ready to engage for the next chapter of my ministry in the New Hampshire Conference.

In the meantime, I'm starting to tie up the loose ends and get mentally and spiritually prepared to let go.  May God, who rested on the seventh day, grant me grace to really be gone and to grow through this time of rest and renewal.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment