Friday, April 27, 2018

Finding Myself

There is a curious text in Sunday's lectionary reading from Acts 8.  That reading is about a mysterious encounter on a "wilderness road" between the Apostle Philip and an Ethiopian, a God-fearing foreigner.  Luke tells a great story, and it will be the focus of my homily on Sunday.  The curious text comes at the end of the story, with the Ethiopian and Philip still dripping wet with the waters of baptism: "The Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing.  But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he was passing through the region, he proclaimed the good news to all the towns until he came to Caesarea" (Acts 8:39-40, NRSV).

Philip "found himself" at Azotus.  He could not tarry with the Ethiopian to lead him to an even deeper understanding the scriptures.  He did not get to travel along to Egypt to meet the queen and perhaps dine at a royal dinner party.  It appears that Philip had no time to map out his next ministry, the Spirit "snatched him away" and put him at Azotus.  There Philip was found . . . he "found himself."

I think of where the Spirit has snatched me up and put me down in ministry.  In the United Church of Christ, we talk about "settled ministry" and value it highly.  We value stability in relationships--including those between pastors and their congregations.  In my first church--St. Paul United Church of Christ at Old Monroe, Missouri--when asked about my plans for my ministry, I said something about "putting down roots" after the intense and transitory years of preparation at college and seminary.  I stayed in that ministry for eleven years before the Spirit snatched me away to the west--to California, Missouri--to the ministry and the "mini farm" that I enjoyed so much.  After thirteen years, the Spirit snatched me away to do what I always dreamed that I would do: I became a Conference Minister in the United Church of Christ in a place that, initially, felt very foreign and cold but soon became our home in a very deep way.  And now, the Spirit has snatched me up and brought me to a new place and a new people with St. Peter's United Church of Christ in Washington, Missouri.  It is an amazing journey--never settled once and for all.  Ministry under the influence and guidance of the Holy Spirit is always dynamic, an amazing adventure.

Philp "found himself" in that adventure.  He found his true identity and calling in being available to the snatching of the Spirit.  I find myself most alive and fulfilled when I trust the Spirit to place me where I need to be.  Yes, I plan and schedule, but it is often the case that ministry happens in those moments when I am dropped in the midst of homes, hospitals, funeral parlors, and meetings--in places of great joy and deep sorrow--in places where I had not intended to be.  This is the work of the Spirit of the Living God.

May you "find yourself" as you trust in the leading, enlivening power of the Spirit, whether you are riding along with a stranger on the wilderness road or dropped down in Azotus or living your faith day by day in Washington, Missouri.

Come, Holy Spirit, even if that coming is unsettling.  Break us free to serve where you need us to be today.  Help us to find our greatest joy and purpose--to find ourselves--as we trust in you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment