Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sabbatical Time: On the Move

It was in the summertime on my grandparents' farm that I learned to ride a bicycle.  My St. Louis cousins, Jim and Carol, had brought a bicycle with them to the farm, where we spent many good times together in the summer.  I remember trying to get my balance on that bike with no success.  The practice area was gravel out by the corn crib--no pavement on the farm.  There had to be some scraped knees and palms in the process; but from the vantage point of fifty years later, those have all faded away.  What I remember today is how it felt to finally get it.  I still am amazed that it just "happened."  I learned to ride, and I rode a lot--all over Owensville when I got back home. 

I bought my bike nearly 40 years ago, as I was preparing to go to college.  The manager of the local Western Auto Store let me put it in the layaway, and I paid for it with money I made from mowing lawns.  At college in Kirksville, I rode that bike on campus, around town, and down country roads.

For most of my ministry, we have lived in locations that were not "bike friendly"--mostly on gravel roads and country lanes.  Our present location in Concord is much better.  Here we have good pavement . . . but there is also lots of traffic rolling up Route 106.  It takes a certain kind of courage to get back on a bike at 56!  It is a bit like learning to ride again for the first time--finding the balance and the spirit to explore one's surroundings.

My sabbatical includes daily exercise.  Today I pedaled (and coasted) to the New Hampshire Motor Speedway.  After taking a brief detour through Loudon, I was determined to get to the Speedway . . . and I did.  It took me longer to get home, but I made it!  From a sedentary lifestyle to 20 miles today!  Maybe I'll get to Laconia before the summer is over.  Would be great to have lunch with Warren and Paula before I pedal back home.

I am grateful to God for the opportunity to move and make important changes.  I am grateful for the gift of this holy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment