Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blessed on Our Way

We have a simple ritual at our house that gives life special meaning.  Each morning at 6:40 AM when the school bus comes to pick up Matt for his day at school, we stand in the doorway and wave as the bus pulls away and drives down the street.  Although we cannot see through the tinted windows, we wave until the bus disappears around the corner.  We bless our son on his way at the beginning of the day.

That simple gesture has become the norm for us.  Matt often rushes to the front door as I leave home to meet with a church committee in some distant place.  Even though he was watching a movie or playing a video game seemingly unaware of my exit, there he stands waving from the open doorway as I back out of the garage, drive down the street, and disappear around the corner.  That wave means so much.  I know and remember that I have been blessed on my way by one who loves me.

Perhaps it stretches the image too much, but I like to think that the benediction is our special gesture as a community of faith.  The pastor or priest gives a blessing to people to encourage them on their way.  An open hand is raised in a sign of grace and peace as Christ's congregation scatters into the world.

My prayer is that you will be blessed by those who love you.  Indeed, may everyone be blessed and encouraged on their way.  What a different world it would be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment