Saturday, September 24, 2011

They Were Not "Quitters"

I used to chuckle at my spellchecker.  It did not know the word, "quilter," but would always suggest "quitter" as an alternative.  We had a small, but active quilters circle in one local church where I served as pastor and teacher.  Every week, when the announcements for the worship bulletin were prepared, "quilter" became "quitter."   One thing is sure, those quilters were not quitters.

The quilters met around their quilt every Wednesday at 9:00 o'clock in the morning.  They would break for lunch, and return to quilt more until about 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon.  They created beautiful quilts.  They conversed with each other, sharing the news from their families, their neighbors, their joys and their sorrows together.  They welcomed me into their circle, even though I did not quilt.  I frequently joined them for lunch.  The conversations were rich; the counsel was wise; the laughter lifted many spirits.

Certainly those quilters were not the whole church.  They had their own perspectives and some problems too.  They told great stories and jokes that were sometimes right at the edge of respectable.  They were fun to be around.  When I said good-bye to them, it was hard.  They created a magnificent memory quilt at my leaving, stiching together blocks created by members of the parish who blessed me on my way.

Recently, I read that the quilters circle has decided to disband.  Life changes us and the circles in which we share.  Life changes our communities of faith.  The needs are different now.  But, this I know:  Those quilters were never quitters, and they never will be.  They served with faithfulness.  I do hope there are other small circle groups that are emerging in that congregation and in all our congregations in the New Hampshire Conference.  The quality of the conversation and the care, in addition to the beautiful gifts, one tiny stitch after another, not only draws a quilt together, it unites and strengthens a community of faith.

In those times when I am tempted to withdraw from the circle, to disengage, and to quit--I remember the quilters.  Their example continues to inspire and hold me. 

For this, and so much more . . . I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment