Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Naive Reply

Friends from Vermont have been in touch.  They are stranded at home as the flood waters have swept away a bridge that connects them to town.  My first response was, "Just say the word, and I'll be there."  I actually wrote that in an email reply.  But then, I saw the videos.  It is obvious that going there is not possible now.  Later, maybe--but not now.

Sometimes we respond before we know the depth of the crisis, we wade off into a situation without considering what is really needed, and what we can realistically accomplish.  We get in over our heads and make things worse.  This is a time when I need to remember that my strength is insufficient to this trouble.  I cannot get there now.  I cannot--no matter how much I might try--make this right.  I am not God.

There will be a time, perhaps, when I can stand amid the mess, be present, and offer help.  For now, I will "be there" in a different way.  My heart aches as I see those videos and hear of homes lost and communities devastated.  There is great hurt, tremendous loss. 

The Lord sits enthroned over the flood;
   the Lord sits enthroned as king for ever.
May the Lord give strength to his people!
   May the Lord bless his people with peace!

--Psalm 29:10-11, NRSV

No comments:

Post a Comment