Sunday, August 14, 2011

All Dressed Up, And . . . .

The vacation ends tomorrow.  This morning I decided to worship with a congregation where I have not been recently.  I checked the service time in the paper, and got to the church just before the appointed hour for worship.  The church sign announced the time of worship.  There was also a colorful sign in the front yard, inviting people to come to worship at that time. 

It soon became evident that something was wrong.  There were no cars in the parking lot or on the adjacent streets.  I decided to walk up to the front door, just to be sure.  It was locked.  I felt dejected as I walked back down the sidewalk.  I was looking forward to worshipping, to hearing the sermon and to singing the hymns.  I had hoped to visit, renewing relationships and creating new ones.

After that, I decided to drive to other nearby congregations.  What I discovered is that most had already started worship thirty to forty-five minutes earlier.  What would it be for the Conference Minister to show up just in time for the final hymn and the benediction?  Not so good!

One church had a sign posted at the edge of town, but there was no service time on it.  When I neared the church building, there was no sign on the street--just a sign with very small letters beside of the front door.  What time did this one start?  There were but a few cars in the parking lot.  I drove in, squinted at the sign, only to discover that the worship was long over.  The cars probably belonged to friends who went together to lunch or to some who were lingering for a meeting after coffee hour.

As I drove back home, I saw folks jogging, walking dogs, mowing lawns, and playing golf.  There were lots of cars in the parking lots of favorite restaurants.  This is a big race weekend at the NH Motor Speedway, just up the highway from our house.  Lots of race fans are headed north.  What if, this had been the morning that some stranger had decided to go to church.  What if they had gotten their courage up to walk through your church's door?  What if they had carefully researched the time and made sure of the location?  What if they arrived to find an empty church and a locked door? 

I don't share this story to chide or belittle a church.  You can't pry the name of the church out of me.  I am concerned about having us all live up to our words:  "No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here."  I hope we will all be more attentive, more hospitable.  Check your newspaper ads, the outgoing message on your answering machine, the posting on your website, and the signage at the edge of town and in the church yard. 

You just never know who might show up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment