Monday, November 14, 2016

A Reflection on the US Election

I have been thinking a lot since Election Day about what word I would offer and why it is important to say anything about what has happened.  Our society is saturated with pre- and post-election commentary.  In New Hampshire we have barely completed one election cycle when another begins.  Along with that comes pollsters and pundits' predictions.  The editorializing is immediate in social media.   The commentary can become excessive, wearisome with everyone expressing an opinion.  Sometimes we need to pause, to feel, and to pray.

Last week, I heard much anxiety about how preachers in our pulpits would address the outcome of the election.  Would they further divide the country and the churches they serve by expressing their personal disappointment and anger?  Would they cause their members to feel ostracized because they voted for one candidate or another?  I read the counsel and concern that was posted by other church leaders and seminary teachers on Facebook.  Some organized immediate support groups for clergy to gather and talk through their reactions to the election.  

I trust that the Word of God will get through and will have its way with us.   I trust the Word to speak its consolation and challenge in the local context, in the congregations where God's people gather-not once for a pronouncement from on high, but week by week, Sunday by Sunday to build a community of compassion and justice.  I trust the Word of God to move us to care and protect those who are more vulnerable now.  We are called to make sure that all God's children are safe.

Do I have disappointment and concern about the election of our new President?  Yes.  I am concerned about the man we have elected and about the multitudes that propelled him to victory.  I am concerned about his rhetoric becoming our reality.  I am concerned for our children and our neighbors and the building of impenetrable walls around our souls that will isolate and separate us one from another.  I am concerned, but I also believe that the Word of God will have its way--transforming hearts and minds, changing lives, and creating justice.  I have faith that the Spirit of God will stir in ways that we cannot yet imagine.

So I thank the preachers and the prophets for their proclamation of the Word.  I thank them for modeling "courage in the struggle for justice and peace."  I thank them for pointing us toward the One who is with us always, announcing God's "presence in trial and rejoicing."  I thank them for calling us to find our voice and to be vigilant in our witness to love all the people.  In the words of the United Church of Christ's Mission Statement:  United in Spirit and inspired by God's grace, we welcome all, love all, and seek justice for all. 

Today, tomorrow, and in the end, may we be found faithful to the values that we have learned in our sacred sanctuaries.  May we follow Jesus who stills every storm.  May we look to our God, our Sovereign and our Savior.

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood;
      the LORD sits enthroned as king forever.
May the LORD give strength to his people!
            May the LORD bless his people with peace!

~ Psalm 29:10-11, New Revised Standard Version
 

No comments:

Post a Comment