Monday, June 6, 2016

On My Way Rejoicing!

I woke up in Jefferson City, Missouri this morning.  My time away has been rich with connections.  Yesterday, I was present for the 150th Anniversary of the United Church of Christ of California, Missouri--a church where I served as Pastor and Teacher during a formative time in our family's life.  It was humbling to return to people and a place that had been home.

What I found in California was a vital and lively congregation, as I had imaged that it would be.  There were children--almost thirty of them gathered at the Pastor's feet for the children's time.  The choirs sang for joy with words of harmony and hope.  The names of the saints flooded my memory and stirred my soul.  I am grateful to Pastor Andrew Lovins for his generous welcome and hospitality.    I offered the sermon for the day and will link to it here for those who might like to read what I said:  A Homily of the 150th Anniversary of the UCC of California

And now, it is time to leave for home.  I start the journey in a few minutes and will be home in Concord and back to my ministry with the New Hampshire Conference of the United Church of Christ later this week.  This has been a renewing time.  I leave this place that once was home with a joyful heart and a thankful spirit.  The God who calls us into communities of deep faith continues to support and sustain the Church and calls it to be an agent of resurrection hope now and in all the times yet to come.

Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment