Monday, May 9, 2016

Please Stay!

I remember a congregant named "Sam," who was a member of a church I served as a student a very long time ago.  Sam grew simultaneously dissatisfied with his church and with my ministry.  One Sunday he just disappeared and never came back.  We let him go.  I let him go.  We decided that life would be better without Sam's negativity spreading around to infect others.  Now, I'm not so sure we really did the right thing.  I was in my early twenties then; I'm sixty now.  The years and the experiences of ministry have helped me to see things very differently.  I wish I had said to Sam, "Please stay.  We really need you."  But I didn't do that.  The church didn't do that.

I often wonder what became of Sam.  Did he join some other church that appeared to be a better fit for him?  Did he turn his back on "organized religion" and never go to worship again?  I wonder if his experience started him on a lifetime of drifting from congregation to congregation, never satisfied and always easily ignored and quickly dismissed.  Confession time:  I not only remember Sam; I still miss him.  It was not right that we let him go without a blessing, a word of encouragement, or a conversation that communicated, "Please stay.  We need you to help us be a better church."

In the Gospel of John, the verb menw (meno) occurs about 40 times.  It means to abide, remain, or dwell.  Many of these occurrences are clustered in John 15, where Jesus identifies himself as the "True Vine."  Jesus says, "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love" (John 15:9-10, NRSV).  Jesus comes to connect and stay with us--even when we are difficult and disloyal disciples.  He puts up with us even as he works to transform, heal, and forgive us.  He loves us no matter what, as is evident in Good Friday's cross. 

That's also how I understand the word "covenant" in our heritage as members in the United Church of Christ.  Covenant is a relationship that includes a foundational promise to abide with another no matter what.  It's not easy to keep others close--especially those who challenge and criticize us.  Like Sam, they can make life difficult for pastors and everyone else; but it might just be possible that God is speaking through them too.  Covenant requires a commitment to remain connected with Christ and one another no matter what.

So Sam:  If you are reading this blog.  Please stay in the relationship.  Please be true to your own spirit and the Spirit of the Living God.  Engage me.  Engage us.  Don't go easily away.  We need you now and into God's future.  There is a place at the table for you and for all of us.  Please stay!

O God, it's your Church.  When we are tempted to reform it by encouraging others to leave and just disappear, change our minds and hearts.  Lord Jesus, please stay with us!  And teach us to say that to members of our faith communities who are disagreeable, discouraged, and disregarded:  "Please stay with us!  We need you."  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment