Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday Morning, Before the Dawn

It's Sunday again.  I've been looking forward to this morning because it brings me into the orbit of others.  When the churches gather to sing praise, my soul is renewed in the singing.  When disciples offer their prayers, I also am reminded to pray.  When the churches gather, there is yet hope for the healing of the world.

I remember Sunday mornings from a time long ago, when I would spend Saturday nights with my grandparents.  On Sunday mornings we would rise before the dawn because Grandpa had to tend the cattle on the farm where he was employed.  We had several hours of work to do before we went to church.  I loved those Sunday mornings in the middle of the winter when I could go along to help feed the cows.  The air was crisp.  The frost was heavy on the pastures.  The cattle would be waiting at the gate for hay, silage, and generous scoops of grain.  It was feeding time on the farm.

And, this Sunday morning, as I prepare to visit the Congregational Church of Laconia and this afternoon as I visit the Maranatha Indonesian United Church of Christ and join the celebration of the twelfth anniversary of this immigrant church--I remember those special Sunday mornings on the farm.  Today brings a special opportunity to feed and to be fed in worship.  There will be wonderful food in the festivities of this day.  There will be rich food, the bread of life, that God provides in abundance for all.  How I need that food today!

May your Sunday morning be filled with the nourishing, enlivening presence of God.  Come to the waters.  Come to the bread that satisfies.  Come to the feast.

Gracious God, I need to taste and see your goodness today.  Bless all who seek and all who find you as they gather today.  Nourish in us your peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment