Monday, October 19, 2015

Take Courage: You Can Do This

In 2006, during General Synod 25, my first as a conference minister in the United Church of Christ, there was a moment when I was paralyzed by fear.  The gala worship celebration on Sunday afternoon included the serving of Communion by conference ministers who were paired with a youth from their conference.  We rehearsed on Sunday morning.  It was a long morning.


When I learned that the New Hampshire Conference team had been assigned to serve in the upper sections of the Hartford Civic Center, I lost my nerve.  The fear of heights has always produced great anxiety in my soul.  Climbing up and down those steep steps while carrying the paten and chalice was a terrifying thought.  I found myself wishing that I had some physical limitation that would have kept me comfortably serving the sections down on the floor.


When the practice ended, Kate Rogers, the youth selected to serve with me, suggested that we go up to our section and practice in preparation for the afternoon service.  I remember feeling shaky.  My palms were sweating.  My heart was beating fast.  I stood at the top of our section, looking down--way down at what seemed like thousands of steps.  And then, a break-through moment came in a simple, yet profound declaration.  Kate spoke:  "You can do this!"  In the human voice, I found divine reassurance.  Serving Communion to the people in our section on that Sunday afternoon was a highlight of the worship experience.


"You can do this!" was the word that inspired courage in a cowering conference minister.  It is the word that we are called to speak to one another as we face the challenge of being the church in these days.  To churches that are afraid, paralyzed by their fear of the future, the word comes:  "You can do this!"  To pastors who are weary and weak, the word comes:  "You can do this!"  To leaders who feel the weight of the tradition and the responsibility for moving the church forward in a time of great change, the word comes: "You can do this!"


So, in the midst of every paralyzing fear and doubt, listen for the voice that provides hope and courage.  Today, I am grateful for Kate's voice that helped me serve when I felt scared to death.  Take courage, dear friends, "You can do this!"


Living God, in the face of my fears, open me to hear your voice, calming and calling me to be courageous.  May my voice be a source of courage for others today.  Thank you for the gift of empowering courage.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment