Monday, August 12, 2013

Engaging Faith

This morning we were in worship led by a colleague in the Missouri-Mid South Conference of the United Church of Christ.  Dale has been one of those memorable mentors in my ministry. He has been an influential figure in my life, a brother in Christ, who has served with great joy and a dash of holy irreverence in every setting where he has been called.  Dale has persevered as a pastor and teacher; ministry is clearly his calling.  He stays long--but never too long.  His life continues to be led by a joyful, even playful Spirit.  He connects with his congregants.

This morning's worship was a contemporary service.  It was powerful.  (I usually prefer "traditional" worship to "contemporary" worship.)  Today was different.  The whole service was about faith, grounded in scriptures from Hebrews 11:1-16 and Luke 12:32-47.  Dale reminded us of the Question 80 in the Evangelical Catechism:  What is faith?   The response:  "Faith is complete trust in God and willing acceptance of [God's] grace in Jesus Christ."  I memorized that answer in my youth, but now I am not convinced: Complete trust in God?  My trust is often fractured and scattered.  It is a long way from "complete."  When I think of complete trust in God, I hear Jesus cry out in victory in the midst of his dying, "It is finished!" (John 19:30)   I admire that kind of courage and confidence; I aspire to it.  My prayer includes a confession that my trust in God is incomplete and far from finished.  But God continues to be engaged and committed to love even through suffering and death.  That's complete faith!

Here, though, is what I took away this morning as I listened for the Spirit to speak through my friend Dale:  Faith is the resilience to remain engaged even when we are not sure where the journey may lead.  Faith is God's determination to stay engaged with us even when we are easily distracted and even oblivious to God's claim on our lives.  Faith is in our decision to stay connected with those we love and those we have not yet learned to love.  Faith is the joyful commitment to stay, even when we feel like giving up and running away toward the mirage of an  easier, carefree life.

Tonight I am basking in the glow of today's worship and continuing to reflect about what all this might mean in my own ministry.  It will soon be seven years since I began as the Conference Minister of the New Hampshire Conference of the United Church of Christ.  The days have been full, often stretching my spirit in ways that I could not have imagined when I began.   The years have gone so quickly.   Sure, there has been some personal sacrifice in this service; but mostly, there has been receptivity, satisfaction, and deep joy.  It is my calling.  God's Spirit has seen me through and will still see me through--of this I am convinced.  Faith is the predisposition to care enough to remain engaged, listening to the Spirit and loving those for whom Christ died and rose again.  I trust this to be so, and it is.

Great is your faithfulness, O God! 
     Great is your love and mercy! 
          Great is your call to life! 

Thank you for the gift of a Sabbath day and for your servant Dale.  May his ministry continue to be a source of strength and joy for so many of us.  May we be found faithful now, in the end, and always.  May it be so!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment