Sunday, September 30, 2012

Coming Back, Remembering the Promise

Today in worship, I heard the prelude, "O Jesus, I Have Promised," and it that took me back to another time--back to Palm Sunday, March 19, 1967--to the day I was confirmed and promised to follow Jesus to the end.  Forty-five years ago, I promised to follow.   I couldn't have anticipated where that promise would lead.  It is an amazing adventure, and I'm not yet at the end.

What I remembered today as I listened to the organ play is that there were other promises spoken long before the one I made at confirmation.  There was a baptismal promise, made in 1956 by my parents and sponsors in a particular local congregation on behalf of the whole church.  Even so, that baptismal promise was not only made by those whose human hands cradled and cared for me from birth--a prior promise was rooted in the grace of God, who has promised to love me, us, and all--no matter what.  "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."  (Ephesians 2:8, NRSV)

As I listened to today's melody, I remembered the final verse of that confirmation hymn:

And Jesus thou hast promised to all who follow Thee
That where thou art in glory there shall thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised to serve thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend.

Jesus promises to be there to the end . . . and even longer.  We are blessed with communion and community--covenantal connections.  We are not alone.  We are never alone.  All this is a gift!  An amazing gift of God!

Thanks be to God!  The journey continues . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment