Friday, August 10, 2012

Sabbatical Time: Experiencing A New Way of Being


I am in Branson, Missouri.  It's family vacation time.  Beauty surrounds us.  It's rained here, thankfully.  Sabbath time continues and is very good.

My days begin with a new way of praying--more intentional intercession--more listening for the Stillspeaking God.

Early in the day, I take a long walk along Hwy. 76 (Main Street) before it gets too hot and the traffic gets stalled.  The hills are a challenge, and there are lots of hills here.

I am reading Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino by Joyce Rupp.  It was a gift from a pastor as I began my sabbatical journey.  It is the perfect gift for one who is often consumed with the outcome and focused on the destination rather than simply appreciating the process and enjoying the journey.
 
Yesterday I created a Twitter account.  This technology stretches the introvert in me.  (I think to speak, not speak to think.)  I had a CB radio in the 1970s, and did much more listening than talking.  I never felt like I had much to contribute to a conversation--especially one with a lot of strangers.  As an ordained minister I've had to work to overcome that feeling.  Anyway, I'm on Twitter now. 


I am also enjoying the time with family.  We had opportunities in the evenings to visit with our son Jesse who lives and works in Springfield (just up the road about 40 minutes).    We celebrated my mother's birthday last Sunday.  Tomorrow, we are gathering with good friends in Mt. Sterling in the hills above the Gasconade River. 

God is good.  Life is good.  The journey continues . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment