Monday, February 6, 2012

Postponing Life

As I write this morning, I am surrounded by papers that beckon for my attention.  There are calls to return, emails that seek some response, crises of various degree that would claim my undivided attention.  All are important, few are urgent. 

As I write, I also behold the beauty.  From outside bright sunshine streams through the window panes, glistening snow, and forest shadow patterns.  Inside are those who share ministry with me in the New Hampshire Conference.  All are busy at their stations, engaged in their labors.  Beautiful, committed folks who care about the church.  I am grateful to God!

And yet, I must confess.  The stacks of papers, the calls, and the emails all give shape--perhaps too much shape to my life.  They are my routine.  They become my focus.  They become my obsession, my purpose, and my future. 

How often we postpone life because some project or problem seems more immediate today.  The hours evaporate.  Days fly fast away.  The years disappear . . . gone.  I find myself in tune with the author of Ecclesiastes:  "I have seen everything that is done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind."  Sometimes it is tempting to put off life until . . .
until the kids are grown and mature,
until life is more settled,
until the the market finally recovers,
until I have more leisure time, . . .
until.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of worshipping with the congregation at South Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, in Concord.  It was the church's 175th anniversary celebration--a day of re-dedication.  That congregation did not become the community of ministry and mission that it is today by postponing life until some time down the road--when discipleship would be easier and life would be simpler.  It did not delay sharing its bread and shelter with the community around it.  Experiencing God's life--welcoming the stranger and the outcast as Jesus' friends--was not left for some future time.  As I remember yesterday, I find a faithful witness that restores my hope today.

So, here is my resolution amid this reflection:  I will live this day to the full, glorifying and praising God, loving my neighbors, and resting in the sure and certain hope of resurrection and new life.  God is in this moment, and God will be in whatever the future brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment