Monday, November 7, 2011

Being Here

I cannot say what caused the feeling.  Perhaps it was something that the pastor said in her greeting.  Perhaps it was the warm sunshine streaming through the sanctuary window.  Perhaps it was an extra hour of sleep as Daylight Savings Time ended.   I cannot say precisely what happened, but my spirit settled. 

"This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."  This is the place.  This is the time.  This is the opportunity that I have to be present with God and with others.  It is good to receive the gift of the present and to live in it.

So often I have been caught between remembering the past and anticipating the future.  I have been preoccupied with memories of people and places long gone.  I have imagined a future which may never be as I have constructed it in my mind.  The present is the gift that God gives us all today.

Eternal God, help us to make the most of this day.  Teach us to really see the people who share life with us now.  Help us to be where you are--help us to be here.  May it be so!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment